Meet Ed, a Chihuahua cross, who was presented to us on a Sunday afternoon with history of hypersalivation and regurgitation that started that day. His owner said he's normally an active and happy dog but recently he was having difficulty swallowing and keeping down any of his meals. He kept retching and regurgitating any food that was offered, even the liver treats given during consultation. Ed's owners told us he was offered a piece of lamb flap two days ago, which he could have dugged up and eaten while the owners were gone for the day.
Ed was admitted into hospital immediately for an x-ray of his throat and oesophageal region. Our veterinarian noticed on the x-ray a small "white" shadow at the end of the oesophagus (the entrance of the stomach). Our suspicions of a bone was confirmed when our veterinarian performed an endoscopy under general anaesthesia. The bone was lodged too deep in the oesophagus that surgery was required to remove it. Ed's owner agreed with the decision and Ed was immediately prepared for abdominal surgery and was brought straight into our surgical theatre.
An incision over Ed's stomach was made and the bone was extracted carefully out of the oesophagus backwards through the stomach. Due to the prompt recognition by Ed's owners and subsequent surgical intervention, Ed has had the best possible outcome. There were no perforations or permanent damage caused by the bone which could have happened if the treatment was delayed.
Ed was discharged the next day and consequently made an uneventful recovery. Whole bones can often be swallowed quickly by pets and can act as foreign bodies throughout any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Care should always be taken when offering them these treats.
From Ed's owner:
I went out one Saturday and when I came home in the afternoon I noticed Ed seemed to be choking. I patted him on the back and rubbed under his chin to see if I could move whatever was stuck in his throat. He seemed better and ate his tea as normal. When I saw him Sunday morning he seemed depressed and was vomiting white foam up. I called the Adelaide Animal Hospital and took Ed to them.
Ed had to have major surgery as he had a bone lodged in his oesophagus that needed to be removed immediately. He is a very lucky dog to be alive and has recovered well. Ed is now back to his normal health - but no more bones!
If it was not for the immediate attention from the Adelaide Animal Hospital Ed might not have been here today, for which I thank the staff for a great job well done. ~ Mrs P. Clarke ~