Callie visited us recently to bravely donate blood. Dog blood is kept at Adelaide Animal Hospital for emergencies and when blood tranfusions are needed. Callie was admitted to our hospital for the day, and was given a light sedation while giving blood to help keep her relaxed. Intravenous fluids were given to help keep her blood pressure up and help replace the blood loss.
If you think your pet could be a donor to save lives, please check the criteria below:
- Your pet must be in good physical condition and must have a calm disposition.
- Dogs must weigh over 30kg and aged between 1 and 6 years.
- Cats must weigh at least 4kg and aged between 1 and 7 years.
- Your pet must not be on any medication other than heartworm preventative and worming treatment.
- Your pet should be up to date with vaccinations and their heartworm treatment.
Blood donors receive a complimentary Proheart Injection, 6 monthly wellness check-ups and yearly vaccination after giving blood.
For more information, please contact us on 8169 9777.