From time to time your cat will require medication such as worming tablets, or antibiotics. Giving tablets to your cat can be tricky business so here’s a few tips that can help make medication time less stressful for you and your cat.
Giving your cat a tablet
- Refer to the instructions given by your veterinarian, and double check that you have the correct amount of medication.
- Have your cat in a sitting position and place one hand on top of the cat’s head, over the ears. (holding cheek bones as demonstrated in the photo below)
- Tilt the head backwards so your cat’s nose is pointing to the ceiling. This will cause their mouth to open slightly.
- Hold the tablet between your thumb and index finger of your second hand as shown in the picture here.
- Open their mouth with the fingers of your other hand.
- Drop the tablet into the back of the throat as shown below.
- Close their mouth and rub the neck.
- Ensure the tablet has been swallowed.
For more information and for tips, including how to give a dog a tablet, read our Pet Library article here.