Toadfish and puffer fish at the beach

During the summer months, it is most important to note that dogs visiting the beach may or will come across the dreaded "Toady". This little puffy ball emits a foul odour that attracts dogs. This fish is toxic to dogs, not only when alive but also when deceased, even for weeks after! It contains a toxin called Tetrodotoxin that is able to paralyse the diaphragm of the dog whlist still conscious causing death within the hour.

So please take extra caution at the beach over the next few months for we all want this outing to be enjoyable, not fatal.

Share this page