Bee stings

If your pet has been stung by a bee or insect, please follow the instructions below.

  • Carefully remove the sting and bathe the area with cool water
  • Restrict exercise to help decrease blood supply to the area and therefore pain and swelling
  • Observe your pet carefully
  • You may notice slight changes such as puffiness in the face, lips and eyes as well as "lumpy" looking skin in the bite area
  • A bee sting can be life threatening if your pet has a severe allergic or anaphylactic reaction to the sting. If your pet is uncomfortable or you notice severe facial and/or neck swelling, difficulty breathing, excessive salivation, collapse or a significant number of lumps in the skin, your pet may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Treat this situation as a medical emergency and see your veterinarian immediately

If your pet is one of a small number of dogs that is unfortunately severely allergic to Hymenoptera (bees, wasps, hornets) stings then there is now available a process of desensitisation. This involves a series of desensitisation injections (similar to those available for pollen and dust allergens) over a period of time, obviously under careful observation. Please talk to your veterinarian if you would like more information.

Pet type(s): 
Pet library topic(s): 
Illness and injury
Pet safety - common problems and dangers

Share this page