Many of us turn towards the backyard and garden without realising it, we can unintentionally increase the risk of poisoning our companions.
The most commonly used lawn care products are of fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and fungicides. When applied according to package instructions, fertilisers, herbicides, insecticides and fungicides are generally not harmful. Pets are primarily poisoned by contact with concentrated products. This may occur from inappropriate storage, failure to read package instructions, or by intentionally using more product than needed. Dogs are especially good at finding poorly stored containers, chewing them up and drinking the contents. Pet owners should be especially vigilant when using insecticides as these tend to have a higher degree of toxicity. Dogs may be exposed by digging up treated earth, chewing on pellets, or rooting around ant mounds shortly after insecticides are applied.
Snail pellets also require a special mention as we see several cases of snail pellet toxicity every year. Treatment is not pleasant, please be very careful when selecting and using snail pellets in your garden. If you suspect your cat or dog has eaten snail pellets they require immediate veterinary attention.
Many pets also have a habit of chewing on plants in the yard, particularly if you have been out in the garden pruning bushes and trees and have left branches and leaves laying around. This is a list of common plants that are dangerous to pets. For a detailed guide on toxic plants select this link.