Pumpkin's Curiosity Turns Poisonous

Pumpkin, an 11 week old female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, was rushed into our Magill Road Clinic after a sudden episode of vomiting and diarrhoea.

Pumpkin had been happily playing with her family in her suburban backyard all afternoon. After coming inside for dinner she suddenly became very unwell. Pumpkin began to vomit uncontrollably followed by uncontrollable bouts of diarrhoea. By the time Pumpkin’s owner had rushed her to the clinic the vomiting had stopped, but she still had diarrhoea and uncontrolled drooling.
Her owner mentioned that she had been seen chewing on a mushroom found in the garden that afternoon. She was immediately admitted into the hospital for treatment. Pumpkin had blood tests, was placed on intravenous fluids and had an enema and surgery to ensure no mushroom was left in her intestines.

Over the next 24 hours Pumpkin was intensely monitored in the clinic. With every hour that passed, Pumpkin continued to show improvement and within 36 hours had made a full recovery and was able to return home to her family. 

Many common garden/forest mushrooms are poisonous if ingested. The actual toxin that causes poisoning is unidentified, but is known to cause effects 1-2 hours after ingestion, including, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain (colic) and diarrhoea. The toxicity can be life threatening if left untreated.
Cooking can remove or reduce the toxicity, but we still advise not eating any 'wild' mushrooms.

Pumpkin was lucky that her owner acted swiftly to seek veterinary attention and has made a full recovery.

Pet type(s): 
Tags: 
dog
poison
mushroom

Share this page